Today I’m writing about NGV’s or “natural gas vehicles”. I’ve at all times had a fascination with vehicles and engines. When I used to be attending Cal Poly within the 90’s I picked Natural Gas Vehicles as the subject of my senior mission. I took my small Toyota pickup and transformed it to run on Natural Gas. I used to be capable of do the conversion myself and I drove the truck round till I bought it. I actually loved it as a result of the gasoline was low-cost and it burns quite a bit cleaner and I’ve been following the subject ever since.
About ten years in the past I drove a Honda Civic that ran solely on pure gasoline and it had one other actually massive profit. I may drive within the carpool lane. I used to be going forwards and backwards to Irvine in order that saved me about an hour of driving per day.
What is a Natural Gas Car?
Basically it is identical to an everyday gasoline automotive… it has the identical form of engine and if you find yourself driving, it appears like a traditional automotive. But… as a substitute of operating on gasoline, it runs on the identical gasoline that comes out of your range. You may really get a filling pump put in in your own home and refill at house! You may by no means must go to the gasoline station. But if you did not have the house fueling system, you then would want to discover a pure gasoline filling station close to your property or work. It takes a bit extra planning as a result of the very last thing you wish to do is run out of gasoline. If you do, you need to get towed to the station.
Let me let you know 4 good causes for driving a pure gasoline car:
- For me the largest benefit of driving an NGV can be the gasoline worth. That’s as a result of I’m low-cost. Right now a Gallon-Gas-Equivalent (GGE) is $2.44. Actually NGV’s require fewer oil modifications and the spark plugs and engine components last more as a result of the gasoline is burning cleaner. So once more in case you’re low-cost like me, you want low upkeep.
- They pollute quite a bit lower than a gasoline automotive. Natural gasoline automobiles emit 13-21 % fewer GHG emissions than comparable gasoline and diesel automobiles. If you’re an Al Gore fan, you then’ll like them. An NGV has larger emissions than an electrical automotive, however electrical vehicles have lithium ion batteries which is able to ultimately go dangerous. The substitute of the battery is round $5000. For essentially the most half we actually do not know the way lengthy they final. It would possibly must be changed a couple of times within the automotive’s lifetime and we do not actually know the way a lot impression that may have on landfills.
- You assist the American economic system. Gasoline comes from oil. The US imports 9 billion gallons of oil a day!!! That’s about $17 billion per day. I do not know if everyone seems to be conscious of this however we have now all of the vitality we’d like proper right here at house within the type of pure gasoline and our automobiles will run very properly on pure gasoline.
- You can drive within the carpool lane by your self.
My hope is that with this quick article, you already know a bit extra about pure gasoline automobiles.
- They lower your expenses on gasoline and on upkeep (no batteries to fret about)
- They pollute quite a bit much less – Transportation accounts for 27% of our greenhouse gasoline emissions so this can be a good technique to scale back world warming
- It’s good for the American economic system – We could be much less depending on the Middle East and we will produce our personal vitality for our vehicles
- You can drive within the carpool lane by your self
For some cause, the US is lagging behind the remainder of the world. I’d like to see the US begin utilizing pure gasoline as a substitute of gasoline. Maybe you’ll be able to take into account it now particularly when costs begin going up on the pump.